5 Ways to Curb Your Shopping Addiction and Maintain Minimalism

When I first discovered minimalism and realized that it was something I really wanted to embrace, I went through and decluttered our entire house in a week. I got rid of everything I didn't need or use anymore, organized what was left, and thought I was finished. 

But I was wrong. 

Because minimalism couldn't just stop at decluttering. I realized that unless I changed the way I shopped, I was going to be right back where I started in a year: with a house full of things I didn't want or need, and the overwhelming task of decluttering it all over again.

Not cool. 

So I began to assess my shopping habits. I realized that I often bought things just because it was exciting and gave me a bit of a "high" - and not because I actually truly loved or needed them. It became and endless cycle - I would buy something because it was exciting, then I'd get bored, then I'd buy something new, and then I'd end up throwing both things away later because I realized I didn't want them anymore. So I've started really working to rid myself of that materialism, and to find my "high" in more substantial and lasting things than my latest shopping trip. 

That's not to say I don't ever buy anything. I don't believe minimalism should be about depriving or punishing yourself. Things can truly give us joy, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But I've just become a lot more intentional about what I buy, and really consider what I'm purchasing and why I'm purchasing it before I do. And I've found that not only have I been able to maintain the minimalistic home that I love so much (AND save my money!), but also that there is so much freedom to be found in not needing the latest, greatest thing in order to be happy. There have been 5 things in particular that have really helped me to curb my shopping and stay clutter-free, so I wanted to share and hopefully inspire someone else! 

Tip #1: Let your needs tell you what you buy, not the stores. 


I don't know about you, but it's very easy for me to walk into a store with no intention or desire to buy anything, and somehow come out with ten things that all those sales and fancy signs convinced me I needed. So instead of wandering a store with no direction and buying whatever strikes your fancy, be intentional about your shopping, and let your home and your needs tell you what to get. For example, instead of wandering into a clothing store to "look around," only go to a clothing store when you need a new item of clothing, like a new pair of jeans. And when you do go...

Tip #2: Aways have a list. 


Lists help so much when shopping - not only make sure you remember everything you need, but also to keep you focused on only what you need. My general rule is: it doesn't go on the list unless I need it, and I don't buy it unless it's on the list. 

Tip #3: Unsubscribe from ads and promotional material. 


This might mean canceling a magazine subscription, unsubscribing from promotional e-mails, or unfollowing that particularly tempting company's Instagram. This can be a little scary at first, because what if they have a sale and I miss it? But that just takes us back to tip #1 - unless you find yourself needing it, without a store or sale telling you that you do, you probably don't need to be buying it. 

Tip #4: Before buying something, think about where you're going to put it when you get home. 




This has stopped me so many times from buying unnecessary things. Thinking about where I'm going to keep an item once I get home has often made realize that either I simply don't have the room for it, or, if I do, I would much rather either keep that space empty or use it for something else. For example, before buying a decor piece, know exactly where you're going to place it and visualize what it's going to look like in your home. Often times, looking ahead at how that item is going to look in your home makes you realize that it doesn't fit, or maybe it's really not something you like all that much after all. 

Tip #5: Only buy things you truly love. 


Like I mentioned before, when I really began examining my shopping habits, I realized that truly loving or needing the item was not usually the reason I bought something. Far too often I would buy things I really didn't like - whether that be a shirt that was an ugly color but, well, I need a shirt so I guess I'll buy it, or something I really didn't care about, but just bought to have something to buy. Really be selective about what you buy, and only buy the things you truly love. If that shirt isn't the right fit or color, look somewhere else for a new shirt. If you really don't think it will bring you joy, leave it at the store. This will not only ensure that you're not buying unnecessary things, but also that every thing you DO own is something you truly need or treasure, and will really earn the space it takes up in your home.

And those are my five tips for curbing your shopping and maintaining minimalism in your home!

Until next time,
Sierra

Comments

Popular Posts