8 Tips for Better Sleep

I take my sleep very seriously. 

Very. Seriously. 

The reason for this being that ever since I can remember, I've struggled with being tired. Sleep has been an almost sacred thing for me, because I went through most of my days just dying to be able to get into bed. After years of not knowing what the problem was, I finally had a sleep study done, and was told by my doctor that I had a delayed sleep phase.

Unfortunately, there's no cut and dry cure for a delayed sleep phase, or delayed sleep phase syndrome, but the best way to manage the symptoms (read: TIRED ALL THE TIME), is to strictly maintain good sleep hygiene. 

So after talking to my doctor, doing some research of my own, and implementing different things into my routine to figure out what works best for me, I've collected some tips and tricks that have helped me to get a good night's sleep and not feel so tired during the day. But these tips aren't just for someone with a sleeping disorder - they can greatly benefit anybody looking for a better night's sleep! 

Tip #1: Avoid caffeine - completely


I know this probably sounds crazy to some, but as we all know, caffeine is a stimulant and is not conductive to a good night's sleep. It also can be addictive and dehydrating. Avoiding it completely is your best bet - instead of pop or coffee, opt for a caffeine free (not decaffeinated - there's a difference!) tea or water with some lemon juice for flavor. If you absolutely have to have caffeine during the day, try not to have any after noon. You want to keep your caffeine as far away from your bedtime as possible - or, even better, not have it at all.

Tip #2: Always go to bed AND wake up at the same time every day - even on the weekends


If there's one thing I've learned through this experience of DSPS, it's that the human sleep cycle can be a very delicate thing, and even the smallest variances in routine can affect it. The best thing you can do for your sleep cycle is always be consistent - that way your body instinctively knows exactly when it's supposed to sleep and wake every single day, and it will have a much easier time doing just that. This has been life changing for me, and I HIGHLY recommend it!

Tip #3: Get out of bed right away, and expose yourself to natural light



I admit, I'm not good at getting out of bed right away, especially in the winter (because why would I want to get out of my warm cozy bed when it's freezing outside?!). But getting up right away, opening the curtains, and taking in the sunshine is one of the best things you can do for your sleep. The reason for this is that every night, darkness signals to our brain to start producing a hormone called melatonin, which causes us to fall and stay asleep. When you first wake up, your brain is still producing that melatonin. Getting up and and exposing yourself to light, preferably natural light, signals to your brain that it's day time, and it's time to stop producing that melatonin. This will help you wake up quicker and more fully, signalling to your brain every day that your sleeping time has ended - which will help keep your sleep cycle on track. 

Tip #4: Put your phone on night shift 3 hours before your bedtime


Remember how I said that darkness signals to your brain that it's time to start producing melatonin so you can go to sleep soon? Well, the bright blue light from your phone does the exact opposite. It can actually stimulate your eyes and your brain to the point where it inhibits your melatonin production. The best thing to do would be to stay off your phone entirely during the evening, but if you can't, night shift is helpful. What night shift does is change the light on your phone from that bright, stimulating blue, to a warmer, yellow light. This isn't as stimulating to your brain, and therefore prevents it from inhibiting your melatonin production quite so much. You can find out how to turn on night shift on your phone here.

Tip #5: Stay away from your phone, computer, or TV for at least 30 minutes before your bedtime



Again, I don't always do this perfectly. But try your best to stay away from any screens at least 30 minutes (but the longer the better!) before bedtime, even if you do have things like night shift on. My night time routine takes about 30 minutes, so I turn off the TV, put my phone on "do not disturb," go through my routine, and then get in bed without looking at any screens again before I sleep. Again, this is to prevent any stimulation that will interfere with your melatonin production close to bedtime.

Tip #6: Have a consistent routine that slowly winds you down



Having a calming, consistent routine that you go through every night will not only help to relax you, but it will help to signal to your brain and body that it's time for bed. Start with the the things that require the most physical movement first, such as preparing the bed or doing stretches, and then save the most calming things for last. My night time routine starts with stripping the bed and a little bit of yoga (both of which require a degree of physical movement), and ends with lying in bed reading a book. This way I'm slowly coming down from the busy-ness of the day and helping my brain and body prepare for bed.

Tip #7: Do yoga before bed



Yoga is so relaxing because not only are you stretching your muscles after a long day, but going through a routine and focusing on the different positions and making sure you have proper form gives your mind something to think about besides the stress of the day. There are also studies that show it's very possible that yoga can help you sleep.

Tip #8: Read a relaxing book before bed



The reason for this is again, it gives you something to get your mind off the stress of the day. Obviously, you don't want to be reading a thriller or anything like that before bed, but I have found that reading something calm has really helped to relax me and make me even more tired and ready for bed. Just make sure you're reading from a real, paper book or a Kindle and not your phone screen, because - well, you know why by now!

So those are all my tips for a good night's sleep! Hopefully they were helpful to someone. Sleep is truly so important not only for our health, but for our quality of life. Take it seriously and do what you have to do to get a good night's sleep - it is so worth it!

Until next time,
Sierra

Comments

Popular Posts