Favorite Natural Hair Care Products + 2 Tips for Healthy Hair

I'm not all natural in everything I use, and I don't know that I ever will be, but I love when I can find natural products that I can easily swap out my regular ones for - it's just very satisfying to know you're using a safer, healthier product without really having to change your routine all that much. 

One of the first things I became interested in switching out for more natural products, was my shampoo and conditioner. It's taken a little bit of experimenting, but I feel like I've finally found two products that are both affordable (which is important to me) and natural at the same time - which can be very difficult. Those products are: 



I love the Renpure shampoo because, unlike the other natural shampoo I had used, it gives an excellent lather. I'm the kind of person that doesn't feel like they're really washing their hair unless there's a good lather, so that's the biggest perk for me. It does smell a bit funny, and that took some getting used to, but considering the fact that it doesn't have any of the classic "bad things" that are in most shampoos, such as sulfates, parabens, dyes, artificial fragrances, etc., I don't think an unusual smell is much of a price to pay. I just use this like any other shampoo, and it works great. 



And for conditioner, I use apple cider vinegar. I know, I was skeptical, too. But after a lot of back and forth, I decided to give it a go. To use it, I mix 2 tbs. of apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of water, pour it over my hair, allow it to sit for a few minutes, and rinse out. 


I was VERY pleasantly surprised with how well the apple cider vinegar worked. Not only did it work great as a conditioner - it left my hair smooth and easy to de-tangle like any commercial conditioner - but it always leaves my hair so soft and shiny after using it. I don't think I'll ever use anything else as a conditioner, it works that well. 


My biggest concern about using ACV for conditioner was that it would smell. I hate the smell of any vinegar, and was very skeptical of all the people saying that you couldn't smell it. But I'm happy to report that it's true! You WILL smell it a tiny bit when you're hair is wet - but once it dries, you would never know. 

Along with using natural hair products, there are 2 super simple things I've also changed about my hair care routine to keep my hair healthy, and I would really recommend to anybody looking to improve the health of their hair.  

#1: Don't shampoo your hair every day. 

I do rinse my hair every day when I shower, but I only use shampoo and conditioner every 3rd day - the other days I just rinse and let my hair do it's natural thing. It took me a long time to take the leap and do this, because I was afraid my hair would be way too greasy. But I've found that as long as I rinse my hair off every day, washing it every few days is enough. This has made my hair a lot softer and, surprisingly to me, easier to de-tangle. 

#2. Wait until your hair dries to brush it. 

I always let my hair air dry - I don't even own a blow dryer, actually - and whenever I have the time, I allow my hair to dry before brushing it. The reason for this is that your hair is far more prone to break if you brush it when it's wet. Waiting until it dries is going to minimize breakage and will keep your hair looking healthy!

I'm really happy with the direction my hair is going since switching to natural products and changing those two things about my routine - but I'm sure I will experiment more, so I'll be updating this routine in the future! 

Until next time, 
Sierra 

Comments

Popular Posts