Minimalist Decluttering Tips - 6 Ways to Simplify Your Home


Hi, everyone! I recently put together a video on my YouTube channel of my top 6 decluttering tips, and I wanted to share them on here as well, in case you prefer reading to watching, or would like a more concise list to think through and review. If you would like to watch the video, you can do so right here, but for now, let's get into those tips!

Tip #1: Understand that decluttering is like a muscle - the more you work it, the stronger it will get. 

When I first started decluttering, it was hard to let a lot of things go. Now that I've done it so much, it's much harder to actually keep anything! The reason for this is that every time you declutter, you get positive reinforcement because of how good it feels to get rid of it and how nice everything looks without clutter. When you get that positive reinforcement, it's hard not to get hooked. So just start somewhere, and soon you'll find yourself decluttering with no problem!

Tip #2: Start small. 

Maybe just start with one drawer, or a closet, or cabinet. Not only will this keep you from getting overwhelmed, but it will give you more time and energy to be very thorough in your decluttering. Which brings me to...

Tip #3: Be very thorough in your decluttering. 

Go through every. single. item. however trivial it may seem - and ask yourself, "do I need it?" If the answer is no, ask, "It is special to me personally?" If the answer is also no, let it go. It may be easy to overlook small things like pens or paper clips, but go through them, and truly put thought into them. Being thorough will really make a huge difference in how much you declutter. 

Tip #4: Don't feel obligated to keep things because society considers it "normal" to own them. 

If you don't like the decorations on your shelves, don't keep your decorations. Society may say an empty shelf is a bad thing, but you are under no obligation to fill your shelves if you prefer a more open space. If you never drink smoothies, sell or donate your blender. It may be a normal kitchen appliance to have, but you are under no obligation to have one if you don't use it. Don't be afraid to step out of societal norms, and don't feel guilty for getting rid of "normal" things. 

Tip #5: Don't keep it just because it was expensive. 

I know this can be hard, but think about it this way - if you already purchased it, the money is already gone. As hard as it is to say, if you purchased the item and you're not getting any use out of it, the money is already wasted, and there's no way to get it back. Decluttering the item, on the other hand, will free up valuable space in your home, and you'll be getting something, even if it's just room, out of that money you spent. You also could sell the item, if it is still worth something - my husband and I sold a lot of the stuff we decluttered, and because of that, we were able to put a good chunk of money we wouldn't otherwise have had towards new chairs for our living room. Don't let the idea of an item being expensive get in the way of those opportunities!  

Tip #6: Be willing to acknowledge that just because something was needed or valuable to you at one time, doesn't mean it is anymore, and that's it's okay to let those items go. 

For example, I used to be very into sewing, so I had TONS of fabric to sew with. Nowadays, while I still love sewing, I'm not as passionate about it and don't do it as often, so I no longer need all that fabric. Part of me wanted to hang onto all of it because I saw sewing as part of my identity - but eventually, I came to realize that just like everything else, I change, and my interests change, and that it was okay to let go of that fabric. Ask yourself if an item is truly special or needed in the here and now, or if you're just hanging onto it because it was at a different point in time. If the answer is the latter, consider letting go of it. 


Decluttering can sometimes be a hard and overwhelming process at first, but having a cleaner and more simplified home will ALWAYS be worth it. I hope these tips helped you, and if you have any decluttering tips of your own, feel free to share them in the comments - I would love to read them!
Until next time,
Sierra 

Comments

Popular Posts